• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Mega tofu thread

chemanthonys69

Bluelighter
I absolutely love tofu and tofurky as much as I love opiates, What are ya'lls thoughts about said meat substitute8)? Do you like it? How do You cook with it? what kinda sides do you serve? Just a random thought when I saw that there was a healthy living section.

I'm not a big fan. But I used to get the most awesome sesame tofu at this chinese restaurant. It was better than sesame chicken and it was super cheap, so we'd get really baked and eat tons of tofu. So yeah I'm all about the sesame tofu. I've had some decent veggie burger and stuff too but tofu ftw.

Tofurkey is a bit too processed for my liking, but I'll admit to having a Tofurkey sausage every now and then when I'm too lazy to cook a proper meal.

Tofu however is awesome. If you know how to use it, it is easily the most versatile protein source available. Culinarily speaking that is.

Amount of each to your own liking;

String beans (whole)
Mushroom caps (sliced)
Broccoli florets (whole)
Garlic (diced)
Soy sauce
Tofu - Extra Firm (cubed)

Stir fry to desired firmness.

Serve over long grain rice.

Salt, pepper & additional soy as needed.

Left overs are the best.

I also dislike soy that is processed to seem like meat, but I do love a seared tofu with lemongrass-onion-garlic paste slathered on it.. yum.

Foodgawker to the rescue!

(because I'm too lazy to write out a recipe right now-- I'll try to grow some motivation in a bit)

me cook good

i am now eating of a wonderful mesh of tofu stir fry:

(everything in this list is organic)

2-3 tsp of olive oil
1 chunk of garlic, mashed, to be cooked with veggies
2 chunks of garlic, slightly mashed and then torn with fingers, to be thrown on last and not cooked (anti inflammatory superpower!)
buncha big chunks of broccoli
buncha chunks of orange squash
buncha slices of cucumber
1/2 sliced up carrot
1/2 a sliced up red pepper
1 sliced up portobello mushroom cap
several (4?) chopped up chili peppers
buncha bay leaves and fresh basil leaves
1 whole big ass package of the firmest of firm tofu (chopped into cubes)

heat oil
throw in the mashed up piece of garlic, heat on high

turn heat down to medium-low
throw in veggies
stir a bunch, aim to make a "pile" such that garlic and spices are on bottom of veggies
put lid on
wait 2 minutes

throw in tofu (i liked mine not very much cooked)
stir
throw on final pieces of garlic
stir for 30 seconds

dump onto plate. remove bay leaves. shovel into mouth

smoke joint

dessert: eat plain organic yogurt mixed with organic honey (dont buy pre mixed shit, thats lame, and more expensive).

you could put effort into this by making a mix of crushed turmeric, sage, and a dash of crushed chickpeas, and then roll your (moist) tofu cubes around in it making a sort of breading. then fry the tofu separately, add peanut sauce if u wanna get all fancy like.

i agree with Dtergent - tofu meat products (or any reconstituted vegetable protein) is kinda lame. would you eat lamb shaped and painted to look like broccoli?

you could put effort into this by making a mix of crushed turmeric, sage, and a dash of crushed chickpeas, and then roll your (moist) tofu cubes around in it making a sort of breading. then fry the tofu separately, add peanut sauce if u wanna get all fancy like.
I will get all fancy like and make this next week!
Thank you.

You can prep tofu easily in any number of ways... Battering and frying it or searing it in a pan or marinating it for ~24 hours and then cooking it are all excellent. As everyone else has said, it's super versatile because it has little flavour of its own, so you can pretty much infuse it with anything tasty and have a fairly edible dish.

Thank you guy for supporting this thread!!!! I'm new to the veg. way of living. I do eat meat but I love eating healthy to spite a fast life style.. At they moment im battling the WD from damned ol opiates I fell off the bus about a month ago and I am trying to get through, lol. Day two no morphine or oxymorphone. I know this is a tofu thread but you all will be pleased to know my first real(sober, beside suboxone) meal was Eggplant/tofu/tomato bake." Mom, MOM, MOMMA says health food is good for the soul!!!!!!!" lol Thanks for the support of one of my first threads theat hasn't been deleted. Tomorrow I'll post a couple recipies that I love dearly!!

I am under the impression that tofu and soy products in general contain very high amounts of some pro-estrogenic hormone or something and thus could be causing problems.

The alleged high-soy consuming nations, such as Japan and China, consume much less soy beans then vegetarians in the west.

Tofu however is awesome. If you know how to use it, it is easily the most versatile protein source available. Culinarily speaking that is.

No way, eggs are the most versatile food full stop. And they are a great source of protein.

For sauteing, stir-frying etc, I suggest firm or extra firm tofu. It is much easier to work with and cooks better.

Alternatively, you can press your tofu in between paper towels beneath some weighted objects for half an hour to press out excess moisture, making it easier to cook with.

Tofu is nice because it is so versatile. It will suck up any flavors in the dish you are cooking. Simply throw it into some veggies you are sauteing, add your usual curry, hot sauce, soy sauce, peanut oil, jerk, whatever.

Marinating is excellent too, as mentioned above. This helps add even more flavor to the curd.

tofu is ok if fried up or baked, im kinda scared of it tho, i firstly do not trust its general habits of locomotion. I also find it off putting that it is about as processed as bologna and that it generally contains a high amount of gmo soy, usually all of it is gmo tho as its kind of hard not to be at this point with all the cross pollination and seed company greed/monopolizing.

however i must say this, it is far better than seitan aka satan. (and if anyone attempts to tell u its pronounced 'see tan' tell them to try it):D

Anyone have any good recipes for silken tofu?

I am under the impression that tofu and soy products in general contain very high amounts of some pro-estrogenic hormone or something and thus could be causing problems.

I've heard something similar too; and that a lot of the soy products consumed in the east are fermented anyway (like miso), but I don't really eat enough tofu for it to worry me :)

speaking of fermentation and soy, has anyone tried nattō ? lol wtf that stuff is crazy o_O acquired taste for sure!

^ Natto is the food of the fucking gods, dude. If it were more widely available, I could eat it every day. Try stinky tofu (Chou doufu, in Chinese) if you ever get the chance too -- kind of a similar tinge of flavor, sort of aromatically fungal.

Never heard of this Natto... Going to have to do some research. I know I promised a couple recipies of mine and I'll get to it today. Yesterday was hell, the suboxone just wasn't cutting it for me and although I didn't use I really wanted too, they say if you can get through the first 2 min of a craving its over after that.... But Im about to go to class and once I get out and get home and get situated I'll get a couple recipies up for everyones enjoyment. I'll warn you that I am not a complete veg. so I may slip and put an egg or cheese in but you all seem way more experienced than me so substitute away.. My feelings wont be hurt.
Once again thanks for the support on my first real thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its cool to start something that can help people. Thanks everyone